Remove this ad

Lead

Jul 10 13 6:59 AM

Tags : :

I've been kicking around an idea for some sort of constant ongoing Organized Play games for the site. The basic idea is to have something that is a little more relaxed as far as time commitment, and to have something that people can join and leave as they please. I think it will help to have something that people who just come across the site can jump right into without having to wait for the next major event. So, I thought about a ladder-style ranking system. I pitched the idea to Zero and this was what I originally told him:

When the event starts, we would do some sort of a round robin tournament to determine the initial rankings. From there, a player may challenge the person above them in the ladder to try and take their position. Here's a quick rundown of proposed rules/procedures.

-The higher ranked player chooses the format for the battle.
-Each challenge would be best 2 out of 3.
-Players can enter a match with whatever 6 Pokemon they want (except for whatever we use as a banned/restricted list). No substitutions in a match, but you don't have a set roster. You can choose from anything allowable for each match.
-2 consecutive challenges lost against a higher ranked player results in falling a spot on the ladder.
-Players would have a week to respond to a challenge. Not necessarily get it in, but respond. No response in a week would result in a forfeit. Exceptions can be made if someone is on vacation or something like that.
-New players (or returning players who leave) joining the game get placed at the bottom of the ladder.

Some clarification... in case it's not clear. Let's say we have 6 people participating. The ladder would look something like this:

1. Player A
2. Player B
3. Player C
4. Player D
5. Player E
6. Player F

Let's say that I am Player F. I would only be able to issue a challenge to Player E. If I defeated Player E, I would move up to the 5th spot on the ladder and Player E would move down to the 6th. That's the general idea. I would make note on the site for how many times someone has been in the top spot and how many successful challenges they have won while ranked #1.

I wanted to keep it pretty simple to start. I had some other ideas, but I thought that simpler and more accessible is to way to go for now. We can always spice things up down the road if need be.

So, first things first. What do you guys think of this idea? Is it something you'd like to take part in? I'm looking for suggestions too. Anything I've overlooked? Anything you think would make it better? I'm looking to possibly announce this in a couple of weeks, so we have some time to discuss it and hammer out any details. Any and all feedback is welcomed.
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Jul 10 13 8:08 AM

Re: Ladder Concept

I like this idea a lot, actually. Seems relaxed while still offering a healthy competition.

One concern I might have is that there may be long stalemates between two players for two spots, with those individuals just constantly fighting for the same positions. 1st and 2nd place would probably fall victim the most. Then again, the third-place holder would also be active, so maybe not that big an issue.

Death will not balk.

Friend Code: 2251-4229-2657

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Jul 10 13 9:20 AM

Hageshii01 wrote:
I like this idea a lot, actually. Seems relaxed while still offering a healthy competition.

One concern I might have is that there may be long stalemates between two players for two spots, with those individuals just constantly fighting for the same positions. 1st and 2nd place would probably fall victim the most. Then again, the third-place holder would also be active, so maybe not that big an issue.

Yeah, I was concerned about this as well. One of the things I threw in was that if you challenged the person ahead of you and lost 2 consecutive times, you would fall back a spot. So, for example, if part of our ladder looked like this...

1. Ash
2. Misty
3. Brock

Misty challenges Ash and loses. Presuming Misty doesn't get challenged by and lose to Brock, she would be able to challenge Ash again. If she loses again, then she would fall down a spot and things would look like this...

1. Ash
2. Brock
3. Misty

That should help alleviate having the same people fighting over 2 positions constantly. There are other things we can do, especially if it feels like the same people are battling all the time. One idea just off the top of my head is that the person at the top is granted an automatic rematch for the top spot. If they lose the rematch, they get bumped way down the ladder, maybe even to the bottom.

I also didn't mention this in the OP, but this would also be open to be run with Duos or Trios (basically, teams of 2 or 3) in addition to Solo. It would give us more team competition options.

Quote    Reply   

custos

#3 [url]

Jul 10 13 3:35 PM

After looking over it a few times. Its a pretty Good Concept, and I like Stevens way of thought. It would be fine to see how that would pan out. But what about the legendary Situation. Will we spice up the rules a little bit?

Let the games begin!

Quote    Reply   

UWorlds

#4 [url]

Jul 11 13 12:58 PM

I like this idea very much. One suggestion I might add to prevent stalemates is to allow challengers to challenge two ranks above them instead of just the one rank above them. For example:

1. Lance
2. Lt. Surge
3. Ash

With the way it's proposed now, Ash can only challenge Lt. Surge. My suggestion is to allow him to challenge Lance as well to move up in the ladder. Either way, Ash would only move up one rank, so if he were to challenge Lance and beat him, he'd only move up to #2. If he wanted to move to #1, he'd have to challenge and beat Lance again.

With this system, there isn't a bottleneck for challengers to rise up in ranks (especially if there are people who don't check their PMs very often), and it gives them more freedom and options as to who they want to face. I know that other ladder ranking systems use something similar to this as well.

Thoughts?

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 1977 0441 8035

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Jul 12 13 6:27 AM

So, as far as legendary Pokémon go, I'm fine with however people want to do it. We can use the ION league rules where you can use 1 from the restricted list. Or we can do something completely different. For now, I'll say that if you have a suggestion for how legendary Pokémon should be used in this, post it here and when it comes time to finalize the rules, we'll vote on which one people like the best.

For Steven's suggestion, I'm not opposed to it. I do have a concern though. Let's say, in Steven's example, both Ash and Lt. Surge challenge Lance. Let's say, for the sake of argument, that Ash faces Lance first and wins. So, then, the ladder becomes...

1. Lance
2. Ash
3. Lt. Surge

Then, Lt. Surge and Lance have their match and Lt. Surge wins. The ladder then looks like this...

1. Lance
2. Lt. Surge
3. Ash

So, in effect, Lance lost twice and is still in the top spot. Seems a little silly. So, let's say that we make it so that place movement depends on ranking at the time of the challenge. Then, it starts to get confusing. Using the same example, after Ash's win over Lance, it would look like it did above. Then, after Lt. Surge's win, it becomes...

1. Lt. Surge
2. Lance
3. Ash

So, in effect, Ash's win was meaningless. No matter how we slice it, allowing someone to challenge someone two spots higher (which, again, I'm not totally opposed to) can be problematic. Any thoughts on this?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

UWorlds

#6 [url]

Jul 12 13 1:29 PM

IONAurethious wrote:
So, as far as legendary Pokémon go, I'm fine with however people want to do it. We can use the ION league rules where you can use 1 from the restricted list. Or we can do something completely different. For now, I'll say that if you have a suggestion for how legendary Pokémon should be used in this, post it here and when it comes time to finalize the rules, we'll vote on which one people like the best.

For Steven's suggestion, I'm not opposed to it. I do have a concern though. Let's say, in Steven's example, both Ash and Lt. Surge challenge Lance. Let's say, for the sake of argument, that Ash faces Lance first and wins. So, then, the ladder becomes...

1. Lance
2. Ash
3. Lt. Surge

Then, Lt. Surge and Lance have their match and Lt. Surge wins. The ladder then looks like this...

1. Lance
2. Lt. Surge
3. Ash

So, in effect, Lance lost twice and is still in the top spot. Seems a little silly. So, let's say that we make it so that place movement depends on ranking at the time of the challenge. Then, it starts to get confusing. Using the same example, after Ash's win over Lance, it would look like it did above. Then, after Lt. Surge's win, it becomes...

1. Lt. Surge
2. Lance
3. Ash

So, in effect, Ash's win was meaningless. No matter how we slice it, allowing someone to challenge someone two spots higher (which, again, I'm not totally opposed to) can be problematic. Any thoughts on this?

I would say the easiest way to resolve that issue is once a player has been challenged by another player, no challenges may be made to either of those players until the match has been resolved. With this, in your above example, Lt. Surge cannot challenge Lance until his match with Ash is resolved. Which by that time, the ladder will change, and this will affect who Surge can challenge. Granted, this could still result in someone being challenged by the two people beneath him/her and not dropping in rank if they lose, but I don't see too much of an issue with this, since those two players are effectively "butting heads" against one another trying to knock the top player from their position, and haven't secured the win yet to do so. If these two players were to instead challenge each other in this manner, rather than the one above them, the results would be identical, as they'd just be constantly swapping positions underneath the top player.

Regardless on how we do it, I believe "challenge locks" should be put in place for players who have a pending battle. Otherwise things could get messy fast if there are a chain of challenges taking place (A challenges B, B challenges C, etc.) and players move up/down in rank before other battles they are in take place. So it might be a good idea to prevent a player from issuing a challenge if they have already issued a challenge or have been challenged themselves. Likewise, a player shouldn't be allowed to challenge a player who has already been challenged or who has just issued a challenge. This may slow things up a bit, but it will keep things organized the easiest I think. Plus the ladder doesn't need to be fast-paced anyway, since I'm assuming that since this is an ongoing event, it will be more of a "background" event behind main events such as the ION League, to allow new players as well as eliminated players from main events to do something while waiting for the next main event to take place.

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Jul 12 13 1:50 PM

That's a good way to look at it Steven. Originally, I was thinking that challenges happen in PMs, but maybe they belong in the thread, so everyone can see them. We would just need to figure out the best way to queue the challenges.

Or maybe we have people challenge a position instead of a person. Say I'm #6 in the ladder. I could say that I challenge #4 or #5. This way, when it's my turn to challenge, I face whoever is in that position at that time. Does that make sense?

Quote    Reply   

UWorlds

#8 [url]

Jul 12 13 1:59 PM

Not sure how well it'd work to challenge positions. Say in your example, if I'm at #6, and I challenge the #4 spot. However, before I can have my battle, the #7 spot challenges #5 and wins. Now I'm bumped down to #7, and scheduled to challenge #4, but now it's 3 ranks above me, so suddenly I'm not allowed to make my previously scheduled challenge. Unless if you're okay with this scenario happening, allowing the battle to still take place provided that the challenger was within 2 ranks of their opponent at the time the challenge was made.

And yeah, I think it'd be a good idea to have challengers issue their challenge in a post so that everyone knows what's going on. After this post is made, the challenger can then contact who they are challenging to schedule a time to have the match, of course. But making the post will make it easy to see who currently is/isn't scheduled to battle.

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Jul 12 13 3:48 PM

Yeah, and I think we're seeing how allowed challenges for two steps above is going to problematic no matter how we do it. It's not off the table. It just needs to be worked out if we're going to include it.

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Jul 19 13 5:10 AM

Just to keep everyone updated, this idea is being seriously tweaked. I'm hammering out some details, but it will grant much more freedom for challenging than what was proposed here. I'll explain more once I have a more solid structure in place for it.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help