Remove this ad

#121 [url]

Feb 29 16 10:44 PM

Howler Beat me 4-0, because I chose to forfeit after 39 minutes of the most tedious and unpleasant game of Pokemon I have ever fought in 15 years of playing this franchise. When every move takes 3+ minutes of waiting, it's no longer a battle of skill, but of proving who's willing to waste the most time. Good sir, if ever I meet you in a tournament bracket again, consider it a buy for you, because I now know better than to waste my time with you.

Just... wow, and I was honestly excited to see what you could really do. And the forgone conclusion was: 'Run out the clock'.

Last Edited By: RabidPeep Feb 29 16 10:57 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#122 [url]

Feb 29 16 11:59 PM

I took down a pair of Mono-water teams.
vs. FossilGirl: 9KMG-WWWW-WW3L-8W5R
She did kind of break sleep clause but I'm not going to complain any further.

vs. RabidPeep: ARLG-WWWW-WW3L-7Z7B
Rabid did decide to forfeit eventually because his bulky waters at the end weren't going to be enough to break through the rest of my team. Even though forfeits aren't encouraged around here, it was 100% the right thing to do, especially in Rabid's case to save time 0_o

Quote    Reply   

#123 [url]

Mar 3 16 2:33 PM

Next week will be the 6th week of the tournament. The plan going in was for the group stage to go no longer than 6 weeks, figuring everyone would get at least one battle in per week. There are several people who have not done this. I know there were extenuating circumstances for one person. I've been pretty lenient up to this point, but I can't let this drag on forever. It's not fair to the people who have been getting battles done in a timely manner and it's going to put too much on my plate with the upcoming Grand Pokemon League on top of this, on top of the regular IPL.

So, I'm giving everyone a heads up now that the group stage will end at the end of next week. Any unplayed battles will result in double forfeits. Meaning both players will be assessed a loss. I really, REALLY do NOT want to have to do this. So, please I'm urging you to get your battles done. You have 10 days left to do so. If you are having trouble getting in touch with one of your opponents, let me know. Do not wait until next Sunday night or Monday morning and tell me you never heard from someone. Be proactive, both in contacting your opponents, and me if necessary. After next week, you'll have had 6 weeks to get 6 battles in. I know schedules can be tough, but I find it next to impossible to believe you can't find 15-30 minutes in common with someone over the course of a month and a half.

On Monday, I'll be contacting everyone who isn't finished yet as a reminder. I don't like being a warden, but we do need to keep things moving. Please help me out by doing your best to get these battles done. Thanks!

Last Edited By: IONAurethious Mar 3 16 2:36 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#124 [url]

Mar 3 16 3:24 PM

Honestly, after what Howler did in my last match, I'm just going to forfeit the tournament altogether. I mean, I found out I wasn't even the first person he's tried to run the clock out on, and he's still allowed to do that in these tournaments? Why bother playing around here when there are people that just set out to make the game boring and unpleasant? Sorry to my remaining opponents, it's the "100% the right thing to do" in this case.

Quote    Reply   

#125 [url]

Mar 3 16 4:14 PM

RabidPeep wrote:
Honestly, after what Howler did in my last match, I'm just going to forfeit the tournament altogether. I mean, I found out I wasn't even the first person he's tried to run the clock out on, and he's still allowed to do that in these tournaments? Why bother playing around here when there are people that just set out to make the game boring and unpleasant? Sorry to my remaining opponents, it's the "100% the right thing to do" in this case.

Having watched every single one of Howler's battles here since he started, I feel that you are miscategorizing what he does. Never once have I seen him "run the clock out". Running the clock out insinuates that someone is stalling to try and win via the time limit mechanic in the game. The IPL specifically deals with this by ruling that time limit battles are draws. In a format like a tournament, draws really aren't a viable solution.

His play style is slow and deliberate. And I can understand how that can be frustrating. I've been on the other end of that, and have been frustrated playing against him, yelling to no one in particular to "pick a move already". But there is a turn timer already in the game, and quite frankly there's no tangible way to put in a rule that shortens that, nor do I particularly want to.

Howler has been a member here for over a year now and this is the first time someone has complained about this. I'm sorry that your experience was what it was. I do understand why you are frustrated by what happened. I hope that you do choose to stick around depsite one bad experience.
 

Quote    Reply   

#126 [url]

Mar 3 16 6:21 PM

RabidPeep wrote:
Honestly, after what Howler did in my last match, I'm just going to forfeit the tournament altogether. I mean, I found out I wasn't even the first person he's tried to run the clock out on, and he's still allowed to do that in these tournaments? Why bother playing around here when there are people that just set out to make the game boring and unpleasant? Sorry to my remaining opponents, it's the "100% the right thing to do" in this case.

Before you chimed in with your second comment, I wasn't going to say anything more, but seriously man... you say it like taking my time to consider my options gives me a statistical advantage in the match. As Al mentioned, stalling out the timer is pointless because in that case, the match would result in a draw, and not going to lie, it's one of the only diversions from Smogon that I fully agree with. If this were a nothing match, like the majority of my regular league matches are, then I wouldn't take as long to lock in my move because I realize that it can sometimes be frustrating for my opponent. But this is a tournament that I'm taking very seriously and I'll take as much time as I need to make sure I'm making the play that gives me my best chance to win, and I hold nothing against my opponents if they take the same approach. Nobody around here sets out to make Pokemon boring or unpleasant - it's freaking Pokemon, the most uncompetitive-competitive game ever! I beg you, take the time to play the remainder of your games out of respect for them, because you'd be doing 20 other competitors a huge disservice. 

Quote    Reply   
avatar

UWorlds

Posts: 206 Site Admin

#127 [url]

Mar 3 16 6:44 PM

Before any of this has a chance to escalate further, if Howler and Rabid have anything else to say to one another, it should be via forum PMs, or have things brought up through a forum moderator, and not here. I think everything that could be said has been said, and I'd rather us not get sidetracked from the tournament any more than we already have.

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 1977 0441 8035

Quote    Reply   

#129 [url]

Mar 5 16 9:03 PM

I'm one of the people who hasn't finished yet, and I apologize for that. I admittedly lost my steam with this tournament after a streak of losses. I'm only missing one battle (barracuadjones), and I've sent him a PM or two over the past few weeks but heard nothing back. So if you see this post, let me know when you want to throw down. I should be free most nights this upcoming week as well as all day tomorrow.

Quote    Reply   

#130 [url]

Mar 6 16 8:00 AM

Toastdeib wrote:
I'm one of the people who hasn't finished yet, and I apologize for that. I admittedly lost my steam with this tournament after a streak of losses. I'm only missing one battle (barracuadjones), and I've sent him a PM or two over the past few weeks but heard nothing back. So if you see this post, let me know when you want to throw down. I should be free most nights this upcoming week as well as all day tomorrow.

I appreciate this. I know it can be tough when there's no chance to advance, but it is very much appreciated on my part when people play it out. It's what makes these events work.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#132 [url]

Mar 8 16 11:29 AM

Ok everyone, we're into the final week of the group stage. Here are the battles that have not been played, according to my sheet.

Blue Group:
zombieslayer vs. Draexzhan
zombieslayer vs. RabidPeep*
zombieslayer vs. PlatinumHowler14
FossilGirl vs. RabidPeep*
FossilGirl vs. Draexzhan
fryday vs. RabidPeep*

*As far as I know, RabidPeep has in fact quit the tournament. Those battles will be forfeit wins for his opponents.

Yellow Group:
Guthy vs. Alec
Guthy vs. barracudajones

I understand that Guthy being in Australia has made it tough for at least Alec to find a time to battle. Hopefully, you guys can get it squared away this week. I will be contacting everyone with battles left to play to make sure they're aware and to check in here.

Quote    Reply   

#134 [url]

Mar 8 16 3:56 PM

PlatinumHowler14 wrote:
Al, Draexzhan and Zombieslayer already played - Keith left the code in the first post of the 12th page of the thread.

I was made aware. It got lost in the shuffle along the way. I guess it happens when I'm trying to record battles for 3 different events at once, lol.

Quote    Reply   

#136 [url]

Mar 10 16 6:47 AM

Guthy has elected to drop out of the tournament due to difficulty in scheduling battles. Understandable as being 13 hours difference from most of us can be tough to do. As such, Alec and Connor will be awarded victories for their remaining battles with Guthy.

Quote    Reply   

#137 [url]

Mar 14 16 8:37 AM

So, we are now officially done with the Group Stage of the tournament and are on to the knockout round. Here are the final standings for the Blue and Yellow groups.

Blue Group
1. PlatinumHowler14 6-0 (21)
2. fryday 5-1 (4)
3. Zero17 4-2 (10)
4. zombieslayer 3-3 (0)
5. RabidPeep 1-5 (-4)
6. FossilGirl 1-5 (-17)
7. Draexzhan 0-6 (-14)

Yellow Group
1. Chibi Pika 6-0 (22)
2. Alec 4-2 (2)
3. custos 3-3 (5)
4. Guthy 3-3 (3)
5. OverlordKira2 2-4 (-5)
6. Toastdeib 2-4 (-11)
7. barracudajones 1-5 (-16)

Here is how the top 8 break down.
1. Sethyas
2. Chibi Pika
3. PlatinumHowler14
4. fryday
5. Alec
6. IONAurethious
7. Zero17
8. custos

Here are the quarterfinal matches:
1 - Sethyas vs. 8 - custos
2 - Chibi Pika vs. 7 - Zero17
3 - PlatinumHowler14 vs. 6 - IONAurethious
4 - fryday vs. 5 - Alec

Best of luck to everyone in the Knockout Stage. Once all battles are done, we will advance to the next round. These battles must be completed by the end of Sunday.

Quote    Reply   

#139 [url]

Mar 16 16 12:37 PM

fryday wrote:
I assume in the best 2/3, we are team locked? That is no switching pokemon or moves between battles?

I didn't specify, but yes. And bear in mind, it's just the finals that is best of 3.

Quote    Reply   

#140 [url]

Mar 18 16 6:32 PM

I beat Alec. ZAKW-WWWW-WW3Z-UPLC

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help